Not who I think will win. Not who I think should win. Just who I like the most. My rank ordered list of 18 movies to see before the 84th Academy Awards Ceremony with tweetable reviews/recaps:
- THE DESCENDANTS > Sad. Wonderfully sad. Clooney expresses emotional struggles with just 43 muscles. Sid gets cold cocked.
- THE ARTIST > Dance scene retakes = pure chemistry. I would watch this again and again, "With pleasure."
- THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO > Tried not to like it. Original had Mikael’s generous awe; Hollywood's Lisbeth is deeper, more compelling.
- A BETTER LIFE > Didactic title aside, Demián Bichir's performance as an undocumented immigrant father who keeps moving forward is brilliant.
- HUGO 3D > Stunningly beautiful, although charmingly predictable, and still wonderfully magical.
- MIDNIGHT IN PARIS > Classic Woody Allen, although these days he looks much younger, has blond hair, and wears contacts.
- TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY > Would knew such slow pacing could move so quickly. Methodical spy thriller.
- BEGINNERS > The costume party scene = most romantic pick-up ever. Arthur, the sub-title talking dog, as funny as Jon Hamm's uncredited Ted.
- BRIDESMAIDS > Start with a base of raunchiness, add a dash of physical comedy, and warm until your heart says, "Ahhh."
- TREE OF LIFE > Planet Earth with creepy voice overs and a dickweed dad as the apex predator.
STILL TO SEE:
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- The Help
- War Horse
- Albert Nobbs
- The Iron Lady
- My Week with Marilyn